Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a 65 year old client taking care or her elderly mom.

The mom collects $1,276 in...
I have a 65 year old client taking care or her elderly mom. The mom collects $1,276 in SS and a pension of $2,126 per month. She lives in an assisted living facility where the rent is $4,230 plus $1,130 for daily personal care per month. T he mom paid a total of $30,625 and her daughter paid $34,537 for the year. My question is can the daughter take the mom as a dependent and claim all expenses for the health facility that she paid and mom paid.
3/19/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Because the pension is taxable and that amount is MORE than $4050 - the mother is NOT a qualifying relative for dependency purposes and may not be claimed as a dependent.

HOWEVER for medical expenses that is not a requirement - and the daughter may be eligible to deduct medical expenses she paid for her mother if she provided more than half of her mother's support.

The cost for the assisted living facility may be fully classified as medical expense if the primary reason of being there is for medical reason.

Questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has dementia. Wouldnt payment of all medical expenses as in the above case indicate more than half of her support.Does it need to be shown on the daughters return it was for her mom?If so how do I indicate that

Yes - when the daughter pays mother's medical expenses - that will be counted toward her support.

If the daughter provided more than half of her mother's support - the mother will be considered as dependent for medical expense deduction - and the daughter may choose to claim medical expenses she paid for her mother on daughter's tax return - schedule A - line 1.

See here

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

page 3

Whose Medical Expenses Can You Include?

You can include medical expenses you paid for your dependent.

For you to include these expenses, the person must have been your dependent either at the time the medical services were provided or at the time you paid the expenses.

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:
1. He or she received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2017.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A bit confused about what you wrote: You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:

That is not something I created - that is exact extract from IRS publication 502 I referenced above.

That actually means - definition of the dependent for deducting medical expenses is DIFFERENT from dependency determination for claiming a person as a dependent.

In relation to your situation

- the daughter is NOT eligible to claim her mother as a dependent,

BUT

- the daughter is eligible to deduct medical expenses she paid for her mother.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok understood
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What happens to the expenses that the mom paid for herself.Daughter cant claim them since shes not a dependent on her daughters return?

Indeed - the mother will be able to claim expenses that she paid for herself.

These medical expenses will be deducted on mother's income tax return.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Under what category does rent for assisted living go under for medical expenses.Daughter can only claim medical expenses she paid for mom since she paid more then 50% of moms support? . Medical payments made by the mother are only deductible on the mothers return not the daughters?

Yes - that is correct.

Medical expenses are not categorized - the total amount is reported on schedule A line 1.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
im asking if its classified as hospitals, lodging or?

There are combination of different expenses - including lodging, meals, nursing services, etc.

If you are looking for specific details - that is on the nursing home bill.

But fro tax reporting - these details are not needed.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor