Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Wife had inoperable cancer and I took cashed out 401k. Can I…

Customer Question
Wife had inoperable cancer...

Wife had inoperable cancer and I took cashed out 401k. Can I avoid penalty? Should be considered community property.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Can I avoid the penalty under the disability exception for early distribution due to spouse being disabled?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The disablity was permanent as she passed away.

Accountant's Assistant: What can I say?

Can I avoid the penalty?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/19/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

--------------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Regarding the disability exception, it only applies to the participant. You will not be able to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. Sorry. You can refer to the following IRS webpage for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distributions

----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.