Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I should have rec'd a 1099INT from someone for 2017, when I…

I should have rec'd...

I should have rec'd a 1099INT from someone for 2017, when I contacted them about it they said they wrote their check in 2016 so they claimed it for that year, therefore a 1099INT wouldn't be issued for me for 2017. What should I do? I was told to "go a head and file it" but without a 1099INT ever being issued, wouldn't that be wrong?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you received a payment for interest in the tax year you do not have to have a 1099INT to report that. Interest is also reported on a Installment Sale with no 1099INT reporting. The payor lists the name of the lender and their information with no 1099INT being required. The person that is paid interest reports that on their return.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4