Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband and I will finalize our divorce in mid-May of…

My husband and I...

My husband and I will finalize our divorce in mid-May of this year but will live together for the rest of the year (me paying more than half the household expenses). For the tax year 2018, can we still file married filing jointly, or must we file single?

3/19/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

To file Married filing Jointly you have to be married on December 31st of that year.

You may file Married filing jointly for 2017.

If you are not married on December 31st 2018 then you are not able to file Married filing jointly for 2018. Your filing status options for 2018 would be Single or Head of household if you have a dependent.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Can I consider him my dependent because I will be paying for oh, I don't know, 90% of the household expenses for the rest of the year, so I can file with Head of Household? We have no children.

There are a few variables that your ex husband would have to meet before you could claim him as a dependent.

One variable is, did the person whom you supported earn less than $4,050 for the tax year?

No, he will make ~$12K.

Then you wouldn't be able to claim his as a dependent.

$#%#@@!! Well, I guess I better change my W-4 pretty darn quick. sigh. That's what I get for putting another husband through school and him only getting a part-time job and me not having been able to save a dime throughout our 12 year marriage because of it and me owing him a fair settlement upon the divorce. Where was the pre-nup when I had the chance. Never again. Anyway, thank you for all your help; I really appreciate it and this information will save me next April for sure.

If you do have any additional questions please let me know.

I wish you the best of luck.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®