Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can a person claim me on their tax return, we’re not related…

Can a person claim...

Can a person claim me on their tax return, we’re not related but I do live in their house and pay rent. I am on disability, I get an income from social security. And if they can, do I have any right to any of that return?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don’t know

3/19/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you are paying rent you would not be their dependent. If you were their dependent you would have no legal claim to their refund.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Is that it? Because I’ve seen other sites saying that I could be an independent on this others claim if not related but living in same household AND paying rent. Because I have low income. I don’t want to sound harsh, but to pay $47.00 for just that short response isn’t worth it.
you want to charge me another amount to talk to you? No thanks.

You could be but if you are paying rent then they are not supporting you.

This person must pay for your support plus you cannot have income over $4050

Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it.

The part about you having any right to a part of their refund, that remains no. Any refund a taxpayer receives is only theirs and not their dependents.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Ok thanks