Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I worked as a server for a year but the last 7 months of…

I worked as a...

I worked as a server for a year but the last 7 months of last year my boss didn’t pay me my wages so now the w2 that I have it’s not correct so what should I do I don’t want to have any issue with it’s?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If by the end of February, your attempts to have the Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, corrected by your employer are unsuccessful, you can request that an IRS representative initiate a Form W-2 complaint.

Call the IRS toll free at 800_829_1040 or make an appointment to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC).

The IRS will send your employer a letter requesting that they furnish you a corrected Form W-2 within ten days. The letter advises your employer of their responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 and of the penalties for failure to do so.

The IRS will send you a letter with instructions and Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.

You can use the Form 4852 in the event that your employer doesn't provide you with the corrected Form W-2 in time to file your tax return.

Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks for your quick answer
But one more question what do I do with this form? Should I send it back to the irs?

Yes - you will need to attach form 4852 to your tax return - that is in place of W2.
You still may e-file with that form - so your tax preparation software will generate it.

Here is the form if you are looking for paper copy

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4852.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Thank you very much