Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was living and i just moved to California and i work

Good morning, i was...

Good morning, i was living and i just moved to California and i work remotely from home, they are not withholding taxes from California, my concern if i had to pay double taxes and if this affects me in a legal way, specially if they dont register their bussines here in CA

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Should i consult a CPA? How complicated is this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Living in Florida*
3/19/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Are you a resident of Florida? or California?

Where your official workplace? In which state? Where your employer pays unemployment taxes for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im a California resident now, i work online, their company is in Florida they pay unemployment taxes there.

As a resident of California - you will be liable to pay income tax to this state.

However - your employer seems as established a working place for you in Florida and does not want to deal with California taxing authorities.

They just allow you to work from any location for your convenience - but your workplace is still remains in Florida.

You will need to start paying estimate taxes from the time you changed your residency.

Use Form 540-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals, to pay your estimated tax installments.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2018/18_540ES.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you going to call?
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor