Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I issue an employee a 1099 for reimbursed medical

Can I issue an...

Can I issue an employee a 1099 for reimbursed medical payment?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have an employee who received a monthly healthcare reimbursement but I am concerned that filing a 1099 for an employee may cause an issue

3/19/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you (the employer) issues payments through a health reimbursement arrangement, or HRA, the payments aren't taxable to the employee – meaning you do not report as wages on the W-2 or any other 1099MISC.

If they are not covered in a HRA then you add to the wages of the employee and you don't issue a 1099MIS.

If you already issued teh W2 you need to correct that buy issuing a corrected W2.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4