Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I made a mistake in a 1099 (wrong amount). How do I fix it?

I made a mistake in...
I made a mistake in a 1099 (wrong amount).
How do I fix it?
3/19/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There are many 1099 types but most people that ask mean a 1099MISC they issued.

To correct a 1099-MISC form after it has been filed, first identify the type of error as Type 1 or Type 2:

• A Type 1 error is an incorrect dollar amount, payee name, or code.
  • A Type 2 error is a missing or incorrect taxpayer identification number or an invalid address reported.

Then, follow these steps to correct the erroneous information (all directions apply to both types of errors unless otherwise specified.)

1. Confirm the type of the error.

2. Reference the original 1099-MISC when preparing the correction. Correct information must be included exactly as it was on the original form.

3. Obtain another Form 1099-MISC from the IRS. Do not use the online version, as it will not be accepted.

4. Obtain another Form 1096 from the IRS. This is a cover sheet summarizing 1099 information. One 1096 will be required for every 1099-MISC you correct.

5. Enter the corrected information on the 1099-MISC, and check the “corrected” box at the top of this form. This tells the IRS that the form was previously filed.

• For a Type 1 error, provide the corrected information, then input the rest of the information exactly as it was reported originally.
  • Type 2 errors do not allow for correction of any reported dollar amounts. Information should be corrected for a Type 2 error, but dollar amounts submitted on this corrected return should contain zeros only.

6. Complete Form 1096 with corrected information.

7. Mail the corrected copy to the independent contractor and to the IRS

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4