Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My grandmother (still alive) moved closer to family in case…

My grandmother (still alive) moved...
My grandmother (still alive) moved closer to family in case she was in bad health. The house that she left she put in her 3 son's names that they could split the money if it were ever sold. They listed it and it has now sold. But they want to put the money in an account in case it is needed by my grandmother for any medical care or nursing assistance. My question is since the house sold and the money is issued to them, will they have to pay capital gains on their shares of the money? Is there a way of securing the money strictly for my grandmother if needed with paying capital gains?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

They will need to report the sale. They will each report based on their percentage of ownership.

There is no account they can use to defer the tax on the gain.

They also do not receive a step up in basis as with inherited property. Her cost or basis transfers to them.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4