Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My wife gets 400 a month for babysitting grandchildren She…

My wife gets 400...

My wife gets 400 a month for babysitting grandchildren She picks the kids up from school, which is a lot of mileage. is this mileage deductible

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

She drives to school twice a day to pick up kids. Each round trip is 30.2 miles. She keeps the kids until parents pick them up

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

For all this driving, she makes 400 dollars a month.

3/19/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

--------------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, she can deduct the mileage. However, she will need to claim the home office deduction in order to claim the mileage because she needs a starting point, which will be the home office. Note that the income that she earns has to be reported on the Schedule C and it is subject to self employment tax.

Link to Schedule C:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

-----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you.

You are very welcome. Thank you for the 5 star rating. I do appreciate it.

Your wife can also deduct associated expenses with the babysitting, such as snacks or food that she provides to the children.

Thank you for the generous bonus. I appreciate that as well.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant