Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I did not have enough taxes taken from my income. What can I…

Customer Question
I did not have...

I did not have enough taxes taken from my income. What can I do?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just realized when I married that I must have not correctly had enough federal or state withholding.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No. Its cut and dry. What if anything can I do. We received a CP2000 for 2016 because when I tried to combine our taxes, I also did not input my income. The letter says I have until April 4 to pay approx. $9000 I believe it will be the same for this year. Should I allow my husband to file individually to help.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/19/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you did not have enough taxes withheld from your income during the year, you have a tax liability.

You should immediately change your W-4 with your employer so that enough taxes are withheld.

You can call the number on the CP2000 and request to be put on a payment plan for the amount you owe for 2016.

Before you file for 2017, you should see if it's better that you file married filing separately rather than married filing jointly.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For $46 dollars you just told me exactly what I asked you. And I am supposed to rate this service. I asked if there was anything I can do? Dissatisfied. Tell me something I don't know

I apologize, but there is no quick fix for this issue.

I will opt out so another expert can assist you.

Thank you and have a great day!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now you want more money! No thanks
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

The other expert opted out. Any call offer is site generated, just ignore it. The site sends that for those that do want to speak on the phone.

You stated " We received a CP2000 for 2016 because when I tried to combine our taxes, I also did not input my income". The first thing you need to do is prepare an amended return and add your income to see how much the tax is really. The IRS does not always claim all you can or they take the gross and apply so preparing an amended return will let you know if you really do owe $9000.

As far as your husband filing alone or as Married filing separate, once you have filed your tax return as Married Filing Joint (MFJ), you CANNOT amend your filing status after the April 15th deadline for 2016 return (2017 April). Any change to filing status has to be done before the deadline. So for 2016 you cannot change that now. You can see if filing separate will help for 2017 though. Prepare your returns both ways joint and separate to see if separate helps.

Please let me know if you want to converse further.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4