Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If i own a house, fully paid for, and i rent it out, and…

Customer Question
If i own a...

If i own a house, fully paid for, and i rent it out, and then i die, what are the tax implications? capital gains tax etc

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I live in california

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

If the house was purchased for 13,000 and it's now worth 2 million

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/19/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide in the next thread(s).

----------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Capital gains tax comes into play when the property is sold, not when a person dies. If you die, the house will be a part of your estate or pass on to a beneficiary if that is how you have it set up. Now if the beneficiary sells the house and they incur capital gains, which is unlikely because of the stepped up basis, they will be required to pay capital gains tax on the sale.

---------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

then if i die, and i'm not living in the house at the time, no capital gains tax? but what about inheritance tax consequence for the people in my living trust?
i should say, if i die and my beneficiaries sell the house (that is rented at the time of my death), what is the percentage rate on inheritance tax for my beneficiaries?
or capital gains tax for my beneficiaries, if they sell the house?

If your beneficiaries sell the property, again the stepped up basis comes into play. The stepped up basis means that the cost basis of the property will be the FMV on the date of your death.

Still typing...

You may want to refer to the information at the following link. It will provide more details regarding how the stepped up basis works.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2351616-is-the-money-received-from-the-sale-of-inherited-property-taxable

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant