Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can my daughter file head of household for providing a home…

Customer Question
Can my daughter file...

Can my daughter file head of household for providing a home for her grandson who lived with her last year even though her daughter took him a dependent?

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

My daughter filed filed with turbo tax and the wouldn't allow her to file head of household

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 1 month ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

No, her grandson does not qualify her to file as head of household.

In order to use "head of household" filing status, the taxpayer must have a qualifying child or qualifying relative that they can claim an exemption for. Your daughter cannot claim an exemption for her grandson because her daughter claimed him as an exemption on her tax return.

Also, it may be that the child's mother filed as head of household; a qualifying child cannot qualify more than one person as head of household.

Hope that answered your question. If so, please don't forget to rate this answer. And thank you for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not satisfied, I want credit on my discover card

The professionals who respond to questions here are not affiliated with Just Answer. We are all independents, and if you would like a refund of your payment, just contact the site administrator on the sign up page and request your money back. They have a 100% guarantee, no questions asked. Sorry you were not satisfied with the answer. That's the law.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney