Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

CAN/SHOULD I REPORT A 11,000 FELLOWSHIP ON SCHEDULE C SINCE…

Customer Question
CAN/SHOULD I REPORT A...

CAN/SHOULD I REPORT A 11,000 FELLOWSHIP ON SCHEDULE C SINCE THE TAXPAYER HAS ONLY TRAVEL EXPENSES

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

TAXPAYER RECEIVED A SIEMANS FELLOWSHIP TO WORWK ON RESEARCH IN BERLIN GERMANY AT HUMBOLDT UNIVERSITY. THEY ARE PAYING (AS A GIFT) HIS HOUSING AND FOOD FOR ENTIRE YEAR BUT TRANSPORTATION (MOSTLY FLIGHTS) TO OTHER LOCLITIES NECESSARY ARE HIS OWN EXPENSE. HE IS PROFESSOR IN US AND NOT REALLY 'IN BUSSSINESS' BUT I WONDERED IT SCHEDULE C WOULD BE APPROPRIATE SO HE COULD GET FULL ADVANTAGE OF WRITE OFFS OR IF IT MUST BE REPORTED ON LINE 7 AND THE EXPENSES ON SCHEDULD A (SUBJECRT TO FLOOR )

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You report any portion of a scholarship, a fellowship grant, or other grant that you must include in gross income as follows:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc421

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.