Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I see Form 1040 is for misc income. Does that activate a…

Customer Question
I see Form 1040...

I see Form 1040 is for misc income. Does that activate a self employment as?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

One of my sons contract employers sent a 1099 Misc instead of a W2, as he did not take out taxes from what he made. That made him automatically subject to self employment tax. He was not self employed. Is there a way around this? He has 3 other W2's from other contractors.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He understands he has to pay the tax, but does not think the self employed tax is fair for the $6345 on one 1099.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, the IRS considers your son to be self-employed because he received a 1099-MISC.

He will report the 1099-MISC income and any expenses on Schedule C.

He will then pay income tax and self employment tax (Social Security and Medicare) on the net income.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.