Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My sister claimed my dependant and now I don't know what to…

Customer Question
My sister claimed my...

My sister claimed my dependant and now I don't know what to do

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My adopted son left in July 2017 and went to my sister his mom and she claimed him on taxes when he was with me until july 2017

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 1 month ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. The first thing to do is to ask your sister to amend her return and delete the claim for a dependent for which you are entitled to claim. If she refuses, what you'll want to do is file your return and claim your dependent. The IRS will then notify you that you and your sister have both claimed the same dependent and when you get that notification, you can send it documentation substantiating your claim. If your documentation demonstrates it is you who is entitled to claim the dependent, the IRS will accept your return and deny your sister's claim.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I find out where to send it to in Virginia and Maryland as I have it ready to go? I usually send through turbotax electronically so I have to now send by paper

Virginia state returns:

REFUND RETURNS

Virginia Department of Taxation
P.O. Box 1498
Richmond, VA###-##-####/p>

TAX DUE RETURNS

Virginia Department of Taxation
P.O. Box 760
Richmond, VA###-##-####/p>

Maryland:

The return address for a Form 502 or Form 505 filed with payment by check or money order is:

Comptroller of Maryland
Payment Processing
PO Box 8888
Annapolis, MD###-##-####/p>

Send all other returns, payments and other correspondence regarding your personal or business tax account(s) to:

Comptroller of Maryland
Revenue Administration Division
Taxpayer Service Section*****br />Annapolis, MD###-##-####/p>

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you!

If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney