Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a decedent owned a rental property and reported on their…

If a decedent owned a...
If a decedent owned a rental property and reported on their 1040. What happens after they die and the rental properties are still reporting income. The income gets reported on form 1041? What will be the depreciation basis for the property? The FMV at time of death?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment.

I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply.

...

I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this.

Lane,Did you have a response to this question?
Sorry This question wasn’t showing up on my list for some reason ... Again, my apologies.Yes the estate gets the step up in basis and the income IS indeed reported on the 1041
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS