Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am on social security with no additional income (14.6K…

Customer Question
I am on social...

I am on social security with no additional income (14.6K total income). I have a disabled child, and 4 minor grandchildren who I also support. I used Turbo Tax, and it says I don't get the earned income credit for 2017. Why?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am married, filing separately.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The earned income credit is calculated based on EARNED income.

That is mainly wages and self-employment income.

Social security benefits are NOT considered as earned income and do not qualify for the earned income credit.

If you choose to file jointly with your spouse and if you spouse has earned income - you may qualify for the earned income credit.

Please verify.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.