Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

OH State income tax - Schedule A - personal tax return line…

OH State income tax -...
OH State income tax - Schedule A - personal tax return line 31. 1. What is the difference between "survivorship benefits" and "pension continuation benefits"? * New client for me. * OH resident * Spouse passed a way several years ago. Received a pension from Ohio School Board. * The surviving Spouse receives a 1099R with box 7 marked "4" * Surviving spouse has been receiving it ever since his death will continue to receive until she passes away. How do I know if that is a pension continuation or survivorship benefit? Thanks, JW
3/18/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome back!

A survivor benefit is when the spouse dies and the other spouse continues to receive all or some of the deceased spouse's pension.

That seems to be the case with your client.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/5703-7-08v1

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent