Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in NJ and will be may be receiving a $75,000

I live in NJ...

I live in NJ and will be may be receiving a $75,000 inheritance from my uncle who also lived in NJ. What taxes would I have to pay in any?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The executor said that all taxes were paid for out of the estate and money would be tax free. Just doesn't sound right to me.

3/18/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-----------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, and not by the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

On the federal level, there is no inheritance tax. However, the state of NJ does impose an inheritance tax. SEE BELOW;

---------------------------------

New Jersey has had an Inheritance Tax since 1892 when a 5% tax was imposed on property transferred from a deceased person ("decedent") to a beneficiary. Currently, the law imposes a graduated Inheritance Tax ranging from 11% to 16% on the transfer of real and personal property with an aggregate value of $500 or more to certain beneficiaries. New Jersey first enacted an Estate Tax in 1934. Its purpose was to ensure New Jersey receives the full amount of the Credit for State Death Taxes allowed against the Federal Estate Tax.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/inheritance/o10c.pdf

------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant