Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What form do you use to deduct living expenses in another…

Customer Question
What form do you...

What form do you use to deduct living expenses in another town when you get a W-2?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My husband gets wages on a W-2. He has to use his own truck and boat to get to the work site. He has to buy most of his own food but live in a logging camp set up for him to live in by the job.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

He purchases his own tools for the job. It can't be a Sch C because he gets paid wages and it is reported on a W-2.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you.
It's considered unreimbursed employee expenses. They go to Form 2106 and are deducted on Schedule A.
For 2018, this deduction is eliminated, so if you guys rely on it, you may want your husband to discuss with his company about setting up an accountable plan where they can reimburse the expenses.
Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Hey! Just wanted to follow up to see if you needed anything else. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride