Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I receive UK and US Social securities, I live in the US…

Customer Question
If I receive UK...

If I receive UK and US Social securities , I live in the US and I'm a US citizen, what classification US tax liability do I come under? Are both incomes taxable?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else is required

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I have other incomes as well as the SS incomes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

I've been working in international taxation for over 31 years. I am confident I can answer your question for you.

Please give me a minute to type my answer.

I actually had this same exact issue in the firm I work for. One of the tax preparers called me with a client who received both US Social Security and UK Social Security, which is your situation.

The US and the UK have both an income tax treaty, as well as a Social Tax Treaty. Under this treaty, for US residents, the UK social security is treated exactly like the US Social Security. You report it on Line 20a of the Form 1040 along with your US amount from the 1099-SSA. So it is considered income, and it is taxable, but on the same basis as US SSI.

You also need to fill out a Form 8833 to report that you are taking advantage of the US-UK tax treaty.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Do you have any more questions about this? I have not heard back from you.

Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago

I just had another question with the same issue as yours at work today. It reminded me of your issue. Do you have any questions? Do you understand the Form 8833? You need to cite portions of the US-UK tax treaty. I can assist you with that if you need.

Thanks!