Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about applying for an EIN for a trust. My…

I have a question...

I have a question about applying for an EIN for a trust. My father had a revocable living trust and named me as the successor trustee. Dad died the week before last. I understand the trust has become irrevocable and I need an EIN ;number. I am trying to complete the online IRS EIN form but have questions about the info I need to add to the form. Is there someone who can help me with that?

3/18/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The following are step by step instructions:

Using the online application form, start by selecting Trusts as the type of legal entity.

On the next page, select Irrevocable Trust to identify the type of trust. Review and confirm the information before moving on to the next page.

Select Individual as the responsible party. The responsible party is the grantor. On the next page, enter the responsible party’s first and last name and Social Security number.

On the next page, check the appropriate response identifying if the trustee is an individual or a business. On the next page, enter the trustee’s first and last name. Select whether you are the grantor, the trustee or the beneficiary, or if you are a third party.

Fill in the trust’s mailing address and telephone number on the next page.

Verify the information on the next page and continue.

Enter the name of the trust, the city and state where it’s located, and the date the trust was funded. Review the information and continue.

Fill in whether the trust expects to have employees within the next 12 months and continue.

Select if you want to receive your EIN number online or by mail. On the next page, review all the information to be sure you entered everything correctly. Submit the application. A confirmation letter with the trust EIN will come up. Print two copies of the letter before exiting the application and leaving the IRS website.

https://budgeting.thenest.com/tin-irrevocable-trust-31114.html

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thanks! Just to make sure I understand, the responsible party is the grantor who was my father who is dead? So I enter his name and SS as the responsible party? I guess they pick up info about me as trustee then?

That's correct.

Thanks!

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!