Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Regarding a IRS Form 1040X: I claim my college student

Regarding a IRS Form...

Regarding a IRS Form 1040X: I claim my college student daughter as a dependent. She foolishly filed a 1040EZ with a free on-line service. She did not check the block for "Somebody else can claim me as a deduction". She also omitted Dividend Income which I am confident would require her to file a 104 or 1040A. When we do the 1040X is it advisable to attach a new 1040 or 1040A? Thanks, HPD

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

We don't use an accountant, I self prepare. the 1040X would change AGI by adding about $300 in Interest Income and $67 in Dividend Income from a brokerage account. The fact 1040EZ was the wrong form concerns me. And she did get her tax refund already.

3/18/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I suggest to prepare correct 1040A or 1040 for your daughter as a first step

Based on your information - you may use 1040A

Then - on form 1040 - you will report original amounts in column A and correct amounts in column C

Line 24 - is where you will make corrections -

-- original number = 1

-- correction = (1)

-- correct number = 0

Write explanation in part III and you may attach correct 1040A - but mark it at the top as "attachment to 1040X"

You will calculate additional tax liability and will need to attach a check to that 1040X

Questions?

question: is it prudent for me to hold off filing my own 2017 tax until my daughter gets some
"tracking" indication that the IRS has worked her 1040X? I'm a bit worried my claiming my daughter as a dependent might get my electronic submission rejected or flagged for audit.

I do not think you should worry about audit just because of that - but you will not be able to claim your daughter unless her amended tax return is processed.

That might take about a month.

Till some extend - you may track the processing of her amended tax return here

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

If you file and will claim her as a dependent - your return will be simply rejected.

Thanks. I will file an extension on my filing.
This is what I need to move forward.
HPD

Yes - that is always wise to request an extension regardless if you will or will not be able to file on time.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor