Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold a house that was left to me and my siblings. Do I…

I sold a house...

I sold a house that was left to me and my siblings. Do I claim that

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My mother died left the house to 3 of us. We each received $15,333 do I need to claim on my taxes

3/18/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If all of you inherited the house and then sold it, you will each report the sale on your respective tax return.

You may pay capital gains tax on any GAIN, not necessarily the amount of money you each received.

Gain is the difference between the cost basis and the sales price. Because you inherited the property, the cost basis gets stepped up to the fair market value as of the date of death.

For example, if the fair market value of the house was $100,000 on the date of death and you sold it for $120,000, you would have a gain of $20,000.

Of course, you will each report 1/3 of the basis, sales price, etc. on your respective tax returns.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

How do I find out the fair market price of the house. I believe we sold it for 20,000 under

Any local realtor should be able to tell you what the fair market value of the house was.

Ok thank you

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Another question. Is the house considered a second home. We never lived in it

That's right.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Sorry to keep bothering you. I am doing my taxes on turbo tax. I can't find where to put the sale of a second home anywhere. It keeps taking me back to original home

You're not bothering me at all.

Here's the step by step instructions:

Follow these instructions:

1. Open your return in TurboTax.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select Take me to my return button.)
  2. In the search box, search for sold second home (use this exact phrase) and then select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes on the Did You Sell Any Investments in 2017? screen.
    • If you land on the Here's the investment sales info we have so far screen, select Add More Sales.
  4. Answer No to the 1099-B question.
  5. On the next screen, select Second Home (choose this also for inherited homes) or Land. Select Continue.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to completion.
Thank you

You're welcome.

Let me know if you have any problems going through it.