Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am trying to wrap up filing my federal and state tax

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to wrap up filing my federal and state tax returns. The final step is giving my 2016 adjusted gross income. Last year, my mother filed my taxes for me and she printed out the forms and hand filled them out. She forgot to make copies and so I don't have a copy of what my AGI is. Is there a number i can call to have that information retrieved from some kind of data base? I tried calculating it by myself but if i am off by even a penny, my entire return will be rejected.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't believe so.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

That information will be on your tax transcript

...

Here’s how to get your federal tax return information from the IRS:

• Transcripts are free and you can get them for the current year and the past three years. In most cases, a transcript includes the tax information you need.
  • A tax return transcript shows most line items from the tax return that you filed. It also includes items from any accompanying forms and schedules that you filed. It doesn’t reflect any changes you or the IRS made after you filed your original return.
  • A tax account transcript includes your marital status, the type of return you filed, your adjusted gross income and taxable income. It does include any changes that you or the IRS made to your tax return after you filed it.
  • You can get your free transcripts immediately online. You can also get them by phone, by mail or by fax within five to 10 days from the time IRS receives your request.
    • To view and print your transcripts online, go to IRS.gov and use the Get Transcript tool.
    • To order by phone, call(###) ###-####and follow the prompts. You can also request your transcript using your smartphone with the IRS2Go mobile phone app.
    • To request an individual tax return transcript by mail or fax, complete Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Businesses and individuals who need a tax account transcript should use Form Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have an IRS account...can i make an account and still get my tax transcript even though i didn't originally file it online and i didn't have an account?

Yes, everyone has a tax account. The tax transcript exists regardless of how you file

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney