Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there an exemption from health care penalty if spouse…

Is there an exemption from...
Is there an exemption from health care penalty if spouse lived outside of the country for half year and got ITIN starting in June?Basically is a citizen of italy and got work permit and ITIN in june. Got married in June but 1095 only shows health coverage for June-Dec.
3/18/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There is an exception when a nonresident alien, including (1) a dual-status alien in the first year of U.S. residency and (2) a nonresident alien or dual-status alien who elects to file a joint return with a U.S. spouse is outside the US.

You claim that on the 8965 Part III code "C". To claim this coverage exemption, enter code "C" in Part III, column (c), and identify the months to which the exemption applies as described under Columns (d) - (p)—Calendar Months

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4