Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Computer erased my mileage log and I don’t have enough info…

Computer erased my mileage log...
Computer erased my mileage log and I don’t have enough info or receipts to recreate a new one, what do I do if audited
3/18/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you.

Still typing...

In brief, unfortunately, if you get audited and do not have documentation to substantiate the mileage, it is likely that the mileage deduction will be denied. The IRS will likely not be sympathetic that you lost your information on the computer.

You might be interested in reading the article at the following link as well.

https://www.mileage-ace.com/articles/2016/12/08/what-are-the-irs-penalties-for-not-having-a-mileage-log/

-------------------------------

In closing, if you do not require further assistance with this matter, i ask that you take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is appreciated.

You might also want to read the article at the following link.

https://www.motus.com/business-mileage-101-prepared-irs-audit/

I am signing off of the computer now, if you require further assistance, I will respond to you in the a.m.

What would be the consequences of such an audit ? And is there anyway to reach out to them and deal with it ?
Looked harder and luckily turned up calendar can I use that to recreate my miles log ?

Yes, you can use that. As long as you have contemporaneous documentation that can substantiate the mileage that you claimed, you should be fine.

Please remember to take the time and positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant