Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is a schedule C required when 1099's are received even if I…

Is a schedule C required...
Is a schedule C required when 1099's are received even if I am not going to itemize? I have two 1099's for 2017 but only made about $2000 combined and really don't have any deductions and the online tax prep software won't let me complete my taxes without a schedule C, and of course, an extra $75.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-----------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If not interested, simply decline.

Still writing...

What did you receive the 1099s for? Was it for work that you did as an Independent Contractor, or for a one time job?

both were independent contractor

As an independent contractor, you are required to complete the Schedule C. One of the reasons is because as an independent contractor, you are required to pay self employment tax.

---------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Generally, if you're an independent contractor you're considered self-employed and should report your income (nonemployee compensation) on Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship), or Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040), Net Profit From Business (Sole Proprietorship). Most self-employed individuals will need to pay self-employment tax (comprised of social security and Medicare taxes) if their income (net earnings from self-employment) is $400 or more. Use Schedule SE (Form 1040), Self-Employment Tax, to figure the tax due.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-business-self-employed-other-business/form-1099-misc-independent-contractors/form-1099-misc-independent-contractors-1

This would include working for only one company at a time, in my own name, simply on a commission basis? (essentially a non-employee salesperson)

Unless a person is working without pay, they are either one or the other, an employee or an independent contractor. It does not matter what type of work you were doing or whether the pay were wages or commission, you are required to complete the Schedule C.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant