Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son withdrew his 401K in 2017 due to losing his job. It…

Customer Question
My son withdrew his...

My son withdrew his 401K in 2017 due to losing his job. It was close to $66,000. In doing his taxes, he is still going to owe quite a bit even tho they took 20% already. Does he get any type of credit since he lost his job?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

He did get another job, so had other income...all total over $100,000.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

----------------------------------

Note that the telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site and not the experts. If not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, there is not exception for loss of job. in addition to your son being taxed on the distributed amount, if he is younger than the age of 59.5 years old, he is getting hit with the 10% early withdrawal penalty.

---------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you very much. I believe that answers my question.

You are quite welcome. Please take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you today. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant