Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In 2016 my wife started a new job and had $50 contributed to…

In 2016 my wife...

In 2016 my wife started a new job and had $50 contributed to HSA and then returned to old job without the HDHP starting. I closed the HSA in 2016 but only received $26 dollars. $24 had been charged in fees. In 2016 tax I paid $1 excise tax on the $24. I didn't know I was going to be paying for the $24 forever. I think I need to go back somehow and show all $50 withdrawn (I closed the account).

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Uhm...Turbo Tax live help wasn't much help?

I did not receive a 2017 1099-SA from the HSA bank for the withdrawal. All I have is the check stub from March 1, 2017 showing the account closed per request and an amount of $26.00.
3/18/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You are correct that you will have to report that the entire $50 was withdrawn to close the account in 2016.

Go back into your 2016 return and amend it to show the full amount of $50 was withdrawn.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thank you. The $24 in fees are considered a tax deductible expense ?

Unfortunately, if the fees were paid directly from the HSA (which they were), they are not deductible.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.