Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son passed away in July and Lev helped me get his federal…

My son passed away in...
My son passed away in July and Lev helped me get his federal taxes filed, which I did already, thanks again. I have now filled out California tax form 540 EZ and wonder where and how to sign it and if another form is necessary, like with the federal filing? Or if anything needs to be added to the form? Connie Park
3/18/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Similarly - for California state tax purposes - a final return must be filed for a person who died during the calendar year if a return normally would be required.

The administrator or executor if one is appointed or beneficiary must file a return.

Please print or type 'deceased' and the date of death next to the taxpayer's name at the top of the return.

If you file a return and claim a refund that is owed to a deceased taxpayer, you are certifying under penalty of perjury that you are entitled to the refund as the deceased's surviving relative or sole beneficiary under the provisions of the California Probate Code or you are the legal representative of the deceased taxpayer's estate.

When filing the return you must also attach a copy of federal Form 1310, Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due a Deceased Taxpayer,

Use the SAME form as you used for federal tax purposes.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Do I write personal representative after my name when I sign, like I did on the federal?

Yes - sign the SAME way as you did for federal

and you will use SAME form 1310 as you used for federal tax return.

Thanks very much