Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Tax If the IRS rejects a tax return, does this affect the…

Customer Question
Tax If the IRS rejects a...
Tax
If the IRS rejects a tax return, does this affect the statue of limitations? For example if a 2014 return was submitted before the deadline of the 3 year statute and the IRS rejects the return, can it be submitted after the statue for a refund after correcting the error?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/18/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Returns that are efiled and rejected are given a grace period of 5 days after the filing deadline to be corrected and resubmitted.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

No. A 2014 tax is mailed today. The IRS mails a letter several weeks from now rejecting it and it's after April 15th. What happens when the return is resubmitted? Is it then past the statute?

The IRS does not reject mailed returns. Only efiled returns are rejected.

If there are any problems/corrections, the IRS will communicate with you, but the return will be considered timely filed.

basically, as a paid preparer, I scanned my signature and then the client printed and signed it. Then the IRS sent them a letter saying that they can't have a copied signature from me and I need to sign and mail to the client to mail to the IRS. If this is the case, is the original return still considered timely filed?

Yes.

The IRS is simply waiting for your original signature.

or filed before the April statue of limitations for the 2014 tax year?

That's right.

Okay, so if I get an account transcript, it will show the return as filed?
what will the account transcript show?

It may not show anything until the return is actually PROCESSED.

what happens if it's processed after April? What can I do to get proof of the original incorrect submission?

Whoever mailed it should have proof of mailing.

That's why it's ALWAYS BEST to use certified mail, return receipt requested, when mailing anything to the IRS.

is this something that is like in an internal IRS database, so there shouldn't be any issues after the return is processed?

You also have the proof of the IRS letter stating your signature was unacceptable.

Obviously, they received the return if they're sending a letter about it.

I just had a client mail a 2014 tax return and I'm worried about the statue. Should I have him resend or just wait to see if/when he gets a letter?

You could have him re-send it if it is missing your original signature. Have him mail it by certified mail, return receipt requested.

What exactly happens if the IRS gets 2 returns and one is wrong and the other is correct. Do they still send a letter? Do they get confused?

If the first return is wrong, they will send a letter.

But then they will receive the corrected return.

Basically, things will just cross in the mail.

Of course, they get confused.