Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

When entering stock sales on form 8949, do I need to list…

When entering stock sales on...
When entering stock sales on form 8949, do I need to list each individual sale?
3/17/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Regarding reporting trades on Form 1099 and Schedule D, you must report each trade separately by either:

• Including each trade on Form 8949, which transfers to Schedule D
  • Combining the trades for each short-term or long-term category on your Schedule D. Include a separate attached spreadsheet showing each trade. The spreadsheet must include the same information requested on Schedule D.

There’s an exception. You can aggregate all short-term and all long-term covered transactions and report them as single-line entries directly on Schedule D. A covered transaction is one where your broker provided a 1099-B Form to the IRS that:

• Show acquisition date and basis
  • Don’t require any adjustments or codes
by attaching the 1099-B and entering short and long term in 2 lines is acceptable. Am I understanding that correctly?

You can just use the second option if no adjustments have to be made. If you have to make any adjustments then you attach your spreadsheet or other listing of every individual trade.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Got it. Thank you!

You are most welcome