Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Every year I owe taxes. I have 0 withholdings (which I

Every year I owe...

Every year I owe taxes. I have 0 withholdings (which I thought took out the most from my paycheck?) and so does my husband. We have a nanny but we pay nanny taxes as we go through Care.com so that should be all paid up. And now TurboTax tells me that I somehow owe on the order of $30K. What should I do to prevent this from happening every year?

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CA

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

TurboTax but thinking I might need a proper accountant...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment.

I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply.

...

I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this.

With the assumption that you've done everything right on the return itself, the only thing that you can do is pay quarterly estimated taxes.

...

When you look at the return, are you getting credit for any withholding Care.com is doing?

In looking at Care.com it appears that they will handle the filing? See this: "Our HomePay experts can take care of all the work for you. From handling all the paperwork to actually filing your returns, we take care of everything. If this sounds like the better option for your family, contact our office or feel free to get started online"

...

Again, what comes to mind is that you may not be getting credit for the withholding that they're doing on your behalf.

With Care.com I paid everything quarterly and I got a Schedule H and a 1040 ES Payment Summary. I just entered this into TurboTax and my "owed" amount ballooned from ~10K to >$37K? Something has to be amiss here...

However, if everything's right with the return, the answer to your question is that you'll need to make estimated taxes every quarter, becasue the tax is just added to your tax liability

...

OK let me look

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I have a different answer.

It sounds like you haven't claimed credit for the withholding that you've paid for the employee. You have to actually enter that information in TurboTax under Deductions and Credits.

Enter the amount of your withholding for your nanny in Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.

After you finish entering your information in the Nanny Tax section, go to

Federal Taxes

Deductions and Credits

Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

select Estimates.

Choose Federal Estimated Taxes, and enter the amounts that you paid quarterly for your household employee.

See if that works before you efile your return owing $30,000.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

By the way, If you pay your household employment taxes with your business employment taxes, you must report your household employment taxes with those other employment taxes on Form 941, Employer's QUARTERLY Federal Tax Return, Form 944, Employer's ANNUAL Federal Tax Return, or Form 943, Employer's Annual Federal Tax Return for Agricultural Employees, and on Form 940, Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return."

...

You can delete your Schedule H from your return as long as your payroll company has filed all required federal returns associated with your domestic employee. The purpose of the Schedule H is to ensure the payroll taxes are paid and the income is reported to the IRS. Since filing Forms 941, 940, and W-2 accomplishes this goal you are not required to also file a Schedule H.

This may also help - depending on what you've set up with Care.com:

...

"What taxes are remitted and how do you collect them from me?

Since you only pay your employee the net pay amount each pay period, the tax withholdings remain in your bank account. At the end of the tax period, all the taxes you withheld from your employee—plus your employer taxes– need to be remitted. We calculate the appropriate amounts that need to go to federal and state tax agencies and provide you with advance notice of the amount due and collection date. All you need to do is make sure your account is adequately funded at least one business day prior to the collection date; we take responsibility for sending the proper amounts to the proper tax agencies by the deadlines."

In the even you'd like to talk this through I've made what's called an additional services offer here. (Made it for the smallest amount possible, $5)

...

But we can also continue here

...

let me know,

Lane

OK, well, I hope this has helped .. again, the exact answer depends on how your taxes are being handled with care.com (but to presume that this isn't being handled as employer taxes and paid in through the service would be presumptive at this point) so EXACTLY what has to be done requires a little more specificity from you.

...

I'll be here,

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

...

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Just accepted the phone call offer. Can you call me?

Yes, give a sec ... your number's not coming up

Got it ... give me a sec to clear the desk