Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I prepared my 2016 tax form 1099. I am due a refund. Can I…

I prepared my 2016...

I prepared my 2016 tax form 1099. I am due a refund. Can I just mail the form along with my 2017 return?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have prepared both my 2016 and 2017 tax returns. Can I put them in the same envelop? Do I have to do anything special with the 2016 return since it is late?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so. I am due a refund both years which the IRS will just take because I owe $1300 from several years ago.

3/17/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You will mail your 2016 and 2017 tax returns in SEPARATE envelopes. Mail each by certified mail, return receipt requested.

It doesn't matter that the 2016 tax return is filed late because you are due a refund. A penalty is assessed only when you owe money and file late.

If you owe for a prior year, the IRS will usually keep your refund to satisfy what you owe, but I have seen instances where the refund was issued even though taxes were owed.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Excellent response. Easy to understand. One more question. I am on limited income. My combined refunds are $734. I owe 1300 is there a way to have irs accept this as payment in full?
Sorry don't have $52 for additional information. But thanks for your response.

Offers of phone calls are system generated. Please ignore it.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Phone call session started

Are you sure you want a phone call at the additional charge?

The IRS will not accept a lesser amount than what is owed unless you go through the formal procedure of an Offer in Compromise.

No. Please don't call or charge me. No additional money on that debit card. Thanks, Barbara.

Not a problem. I thought it was a mistake. That's why I asked.

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of you weekend!

Thanks. Tell your boss that's I said you should get a raise for being so prompt answering and give straight advice. Also thanks for not charging. Some online things trick you into additional fees. Lenore

Lenore,

I'm not an employee. I'm a user on this site just like you, but I am an expert who answers questions.

Thank you for your kind words.

You made my day!

Barb