Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in WV and work in PA. I pay income taxes to WV but…

I live in WV and...
I live in WV and work in PA. I pay income taxes to WV but there is a deduction on W2 for a local tax to the township that my employer is in, in PA. Other employees where I work tell me that they get a refund of those taxes when tax people do their taxes for them. I feel that paying my taxes to WV should be the only state oriented taxes I should have to pay. How would I file to get refund of the PA township taxes? On W2 it's listed as a local tax which we do not pay in WV.
3/17/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

PA and WV are reciprocal states.

Pennsylvania has reciprocal agreements with six states including West Virginia under which one state will not tax employee compensation, subject to employer withholding of the other state.

These agreements apply to employee compensation only.
That is why you do not pay PA taxes.

Local taxes are not subject to the reciprocal agreement...

An individual employee’s local Earned Income Tax (EIT) Rate is determined by comparing the employee’s “Total Resident EIT Rate” (for the municipality in which the employee lives) to the “Work Location Non-Resident EIT Rate” (for the municipality in which the employee works).

The applicable EIT rate owed and to be withheld is always the higher of the two rates.

So if you are a nonresident of PA - the “Work Location Non-Resident EIT Rate” will be applied which is based on the location of your workplace.

You may want to verify if your employer is using correct rate.

If not you may get a partial refund.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor