Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am using turbo tax to file my 2017 taxes. I am retired…

Hi, I am using...

Hi, I am using turbo tax to file my 2017 taxes. I am retired from the state of Ohio. I currently reside in the state of North Carolina. Each year the state of Ohio take taxes from my pension. Each year we owe the state of North Caroline the equivalent of the Ohio refund plus a penalty for paying throughout the year. Turbo tax is using the three thousand dollars refund from Ohio State taxes as a income even though the money was basically transferred to North Carolina to pay the state taxes. Bot***** *****ne the refund from Ohio should not be counted as income.

3/17/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, state refunds are considered income and are taxable in the year received (2017) for the prior tax year (2016) if you itemized (used Schedule A) in 2016.

It does not matter that you received the refund and then paid North Carolina.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This process is cheating me. Thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
by now. please do not over charge my account.

The offer of a phone call is system generated. You can ignore it and will not be charged.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is most appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent