Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My tax return requires a form 8824 due to a 1031 exchange…

My tax return requires a...
My tax return requires a form 8824 due to a 1031 exchange but it is a multiple property exchange so I need to attach a detailed list of the transactions according to form 8824’s instructions. I live in NY and i used turbotax to prepare my return.NY requires efiling when software is used but I can’t e-file because the federal return is going by paper.I checked but could not find a way in turbotax to attach my 8824 details to the e-file.What should I do with this filing situation? Thanks.
3/17/2018
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
I'mCustomer I can assist.This is a software issue. Your program will not allow PDFs to be attached to any returns for e-filing. Since you have to file paper Federal, you also have to file paper NY.Other software has this capability. I don't know why your product has chosen not to, and this has been a problem for years.NY will accept a paper filing. You might want to attach a cover letter explaining the software/PDF issue. It will be processed by NY.Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. Five stars is best. I'mCustomer
PDtax
from what you say, i can use a pdf copy of the return for the state instead of the “official” filing forms. Thats easy to generate.And i must do paper from what you say. Thanks.
You're welcome.