Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a retired California pension recipient living in

Hi - I am...

Hi - I am a retired California pension recipient living in Hawaii. I have two pension sources - one from San Francisco and one from San Diego. The San Diego 1099R designates $34,993.91 as taxable (box 2a). Is this income taxable in Hawaii for the State income taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

The gross income is 35,220.59 box 1 on 1099R. I received no other income other than San Francisco's pension and social security.

3/17/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

All public pension income is totally tax exempt in Hawaii - including Social Security retirement benefits and public pension income.

That includes pensions paid from other states and localities.

See page 14

http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/forms/2017/n11ins.pdf

Hawaii does not tax qualifying distributions from an employer-funded pension plan.
If you received qualifying distributions from an employer-funded profit sharing, defined contribution, or defined benefit plan, or from a government retirement system (e.g., federal civil service, military pension, state or county retirement system), enter the qualifying amount here
.

.

So your pension will be taxed on federal level - but will not be taxed on state level in Hawaii.

Questions?

Let me know if that helps.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor