Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold land in Florida. When I paid what was owed the

Customer Question
I sold land in...

I sold land in Florida. When I paid what was owed the balance was $150.
I now want to invest the money in upgrading my home office.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I work from home and have outgrown my office. I would like to add on to my house and use the proceeds from the land property sale in Florida. How do I do my taxes this year?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/16/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you already sold the land and received proceeds - the gain will be taxable regardless how you will use the money.

If you will build the home-office as a separate structure - you will deduct that cost via depreciation - starting when the construction is completed - and that structure is placed in service.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.