Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold a rental home under a contract where I am carrying…

I sold a rental...

I sold a rental home under a contract where I am carrying the mortgage for several years. The capital gains is about $117K. Do I pay taxes on that now or as I am paid the mortgage?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I bought the home in 1977 for about $55K. I started renting it in 1981, so I have depreciated it all. I sold the home in March of 2017 for $203K. I received an initial $10K down payment, so after expense I received a little over $5K. I have been receiving monthly payment of $913.00 since April.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

The home was rental from Jan through March, so I received rental income during those months. I have turbo tax and have input all the number as instructed, but it appears that I am being taxed on about $145K for capital gains then plus my social security and retirement, so my tax liability is showing as over $30,000.

3/16/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

First - I suggest to verify if you correctly determined your capital gain.

If the property was fully depreciated - we need to verify if you adjusted basis for that depreciation you already deducted?

.

Another issue - as you sold on installment obligations - you have a choice - either to recognize full gain in the year of sale

OR

to use installment reporting method and spread recognition of the gain over following years and only recognize a part of the gain in the year of sale.

Please verify which approach is better suited your financial situation?

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
The installment obligations is best for me. That is the selection I made on Turbo Tax. That is why I was so surprised at the tax obligation shown. From Form 6252, the sale price is $203K. The cost of the property sold was $52,500. Depreciation allowed in prior years was 52,274. The adjusted basis is $226. Commissions of sale was $4504.00. So the Income recapture was $52,274. Leaving a gross profit of $145,996. Installment amount received was $3,043. Leaving a balance o $141,039 to be paid over the next few years.
Cancel the phone call. I have an appointment. Send me the answer. Thanks.
Phone call session started

We may discuss later if needed - or I will cancel your request. Do not worry.

The cost of the property sold was $52,500 - is that your original purchase price?
The adjusted basis is $226 - so almost fully depreciated - correct?
Waht about land which is not depreciable? Do you track the land separately?

Commissions of sale was $4504 - add that to your basis
.

The sale price is $203K MINUS 4730 (adjusted basis ) - I am getting different gain that you posted as gross profit of $145,996 ???

That we need to verify.

Let me know if you still need any additional help with reporting.

I am finished with my questions. Thanks

Glad to be helpful.