Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a client that has an LLC of two members she is one of…

Customer Question
I have a client that...
I have a client that has an LLC of two members she is one of the members. The other accountant doesnt even pick up the phone and hasnt given her a copy of her tax returns for prior years. I know that under circular 230 the accountant most provide the tax payer with her information. Can you tell exactly how its stated in the 230 so we can corresponde with them regarding this matter,
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/16/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

"Client Records. On request of a client, you must promptly return any client records necessary for the client to comply with his or her Federal tax obligations, even if there is a dispute over fees. You may keep copies of these records. If state law allows you to retain a client’s records in the case of a fee dispute, you need only return the records that must be attached to the client’s return but you must provide Rev. 08/2015 the client with reasonable access to review and copy any additional client records retained by you that are necessary for the client to comply with his or her Federal tax obligations. The term “client records” includes all written or electronic materials provided to you by the client or a third party. “Client records” also include any tax return or other document that you prepared and previously delivered to the client, if that return or document is necessary for the client to comply with his or her current Federal tax obligations. You are not required to provide a client with of your work product- i.e., any return, refund claim, or other document that you have prepared but not yet delivered to the client if (i) you are withholding the document pending the client’s payment of fees related to the document and (ii) your contract with the client requires the payment of those fees prior to delivery." Treasury Circular No. 230 §10.28.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/guidance_regarding_professional_obligations_under_circular_230.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
basically the accountant has to give my clients copy of all the tax return prepared even if there is a fee dispute

That's correct.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent