Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

HOW CAN YOU DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT A 24-YEAR OLD WHOSE…

Customer Question
HOW CAN YOU DETERMINE...

HOW CAN YOU DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT A 24-YEAR OLD WHOSE PARENTS PAY MORE THAN 1/2 OF THE CHILD'S SUPPORT.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Our 24-year old daughter is a full-time student in a State college who made about 7,ooo as a part-time waitress. However, we paid for all of her tuition, books, living expenses, etc. She did live at home all year.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I can't think of what th Accountant might need.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/16/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because your daughter is not under 24, you cannot claim her as a qualifying child. Was she under age 24 as of 12/31/2017?

In order to claim her as a qualifying relative, the following requirements must be met:

checklist for determining whether your mom (or other relative) qualifies.

• Do they live with you? Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501. About 30 types of relatives are on this list.
  • Do they make less than $4,050 in 2017? Your relative cannot have a gross income of more than $4,050 in 2017 and be claimed by you as a dependent.
  • Do you financially support them? You must provide more than half of your relative’s total support each year.
  • Are you the only person claiming them? This means you can’t claim the same person twice, once as a qualifying relative and again as a qualifying child. It also means you can’t claim a relative—say a cousin—if someone else, such as his parents, also claim him.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.