Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My brother is 73 almost 74 and is suffereing from dementia /

Customer Question
Second opinion] My brother...

Second opinion] My brother is 73 almost 74 and is suffereing from dementia / alzheimers. I usually file his taxes for him and me through Turbo Tax as he is not able to comprehend what needs to be done. In speaking with a tax consultant he told me He does not have to file anymore ???? Is this possible? He did sell his home this year so that will be noted on his 2018 filing....but should we not file for 2017?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not really, my brother has a somewhat limited income - it totals approx. 2800 /mo but his daily care is 3000 / month

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Tax Professional: ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 months ago
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question. If you filed before for him, you should still file. With the gain on the sale of his home, he will have some exclusions, as well.

on his 2018 return.

I would still file for him - the tx department will look for the 2017 return, since he filed prior returns before with them.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Thank you.