Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a property is inherited and the inheritor has and still…

Customer Question
If a property is...

If a property is inherited and the inheritor has and still intends to live in said property, does the capital gains tax still apply?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

..

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No, that is all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/16/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 4 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Please disregard I did not see this is Canada. I will opt out and have this sent to Canada tax

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Inherited property is not subject to tax in Canada. The value of the inherited property is not reported on the tax return of the inheritor.

Capital gains tax may become due when and if the person who inherited the property sells it.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb