Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Robin, You answered a question for me last week: My

Hi Robin, You answered a...

Hi Robin,
You answered a question for me last week:
My question:
I am selling a rental property that I bought in 1981 with a partner the total cost was $90,000. We each took 50% of depreciation over the years and then I bought out the partner in 2009 for $30,000. I then took depreciation on the new purchase of $30,000. When I sell the property, what is my costbasis? My half of the $90,000 plus the $30,000? And how do I calculate the depreciation recapture?

Accountant's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Accountant's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I am selling the property (in escrow now) for $325,000 with selling expenses of $27,000 and improvements of $26,000.I am trying to figure out the taxes I will owe.
10 March 2018 05:54
Here was your answer.
Your basis is the Half you paid plus the $30k plus improvements less the depreciation you claimed ( on your half and then on the additional $30k after you bought the other half).
$45k + 30 + $26k - depreciation you claimed
The partner's depreciation is not relevant.
My new question is: I am filling out form 593-E and wondering where to put the $30,000 for the buyout. I am thinking Line 4 (price you paid to purchase property) is $45,000, and the $30,000 would be line 11 (other increases to basis). Is this correct?

3/16/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

I would add the $30000 to the line 4 amount showing it with the original amount you paid for your half. In other words add both purchases together. $75k on line 4 would show the additional purchase and your original.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Great. Thanks so much.