Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I donated a car last year to a Catholic monastery. I

I donated a car...

I donated a car last year to a Catholic monastery. I received a letter at the time thanking me with a FMV listed. ($3468.00) They still have and use the car for the monastery. This year I asked them for a 1098-C in order to be sure I could get the deduction. There seems to be no place on the form 1098-C to list the value of the car for this situation. If I include the original letter with the Form 1098-C, will the IRS accept that? Dan

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Can't think of anything.

3/16/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The Catholic monastery was required to send a copy of the 1098-C to the IRS.

Your requirement is to send a copy of the 1098-C with your tax return. If you have the original letter as well, you can include a copy of that.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess my main concern is that the Form 1098-C does not have a value printed on it. Is that an issue?

That's why you should include a copy of the original letter with the 1098-C.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Thank you very much.

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent