Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My 88-year-old mother has two caregivers that work for her.

HI, my 88-year-old mother...

HI, my 88-year-old mother has two caregivers that work for her. One started in 2016 and one began work in 2017. They each made over $5000 last year in 2017. My brother contacted a lady that worked at a tax agency and she completed a 1099-MISC form for the workers last year. However, now we find out that the IRS prefers that a W2 is completed for this type of employee. My question is "What should we do now.? If we start using a W2 at this point, will we be fined and owe for back taxes. How should we handle this?

3/16/2018
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi. Great Question. I will be able to help you with this item.

There are a few exceptions to the W2 rule - such as some medical caregivers.

Quick Question - are the caregivers family members?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, we live in NC.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The caregivers do give some medical care such as help with bathing, medication, changing dressing on her leg for a diabetic ulcer. However, they are not nurses.

Hi.

Caregivers are "employees". If they were through an agency, they would be considered the employees of the agency - no tax obligation for you.

I would definitely start treating them as employees for tax purposes - the quarterly filings for 2018 are not due until April.

Here are some documents. A link to the caregiver rules - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p926.pdf

The 941 form - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f941.pdf

The North Carolina quarterly reporting link - https://eservices.dor.nc.gov/vouchers/nc5.jsp

You could also pay to an outside company to do the returns and reporting.

The only way to not have to do this - is for your caregiver to become an LLC/business.

Thinking of all of the options you may have.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Another option is to have them register with an agency, if possible. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think we could possibly be fined for not starting the reporting earlier?

It could be possible; however, I would have a local tax professional who works with wage reporting department on hand - he/she can help with negotiating with the tax department, etc.

ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group